How to wash a mattress protector? Your mattress cover has an important job. It absorbs sweat and stains, keeps dust, dust mites, and bed bugs from settling into your mattress, and can extend the overall life of your bed by up to 10 years, helping you better protect your investment. Keep reading to learn how often to wash a mattress protector.
To wash a mattress protector, follow these general steps:
- Check the care instructions: Read the label on the mattress protector for specific washing instructions. Some protectors may have specific requirements.
- Remove the protector: Take off the mattress protector from your bed. Be careful not to damage it while removing it.
- Spot clean: If there are any stains or spills on the mattress protector, you can spot-clean them before washing. Use a mild detergent mixed with water and gently dab the affected area with a cloth or sponge. Avoid scrubbing vigorously, as it may damage the fabric.
- Machine wash (if applicable): If the care instructions allow machine washing, place the mattress protector in your washing machine. Use a gentle or delicate cycle with cold or warm water, depending on the instructions. Avoid using hot water, as it can damage the protector.
- Use a mild detergent: Add a small amount of mild detergent to the washing machine. Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals, as they can degrade the fabric.
- Rinse thoroughly: After the washing cycle is complete, rinse the mattress protector thoroughly to remove any remaining detergent residue.
- Dry properly: Check the care instructions for the recommended drying method. In most cases, it’s best to air dry the mattress protector by laying it flat or hanging it up. Avoid using high heat or direct sunlight, as they can shrink or damage the fabric.
- Reinstall on the mattress: Once the mattress protector is completely dry, reinstall it on your mattress.
Regarding the frequency of washing, it’s generally recommended to wash a mattress protector every 1 to 2 months, or as needed. However, if you have allergies, asthma, or if the protector has been exposed to significant spills or stains, you may want to wash it more frequently. Always refer to the care instructions provided by the manufacturer for the best guidance on washing and maintenance.
Remember if you want to get your house Sparkling Cleaned without moving a finger, don’t hesitate and call Cleany!